Saturday 24 March 2012

Quality Vs Luxury ... Why not Both?

I, Rachel Brunton, have been recently doing a lot of research and analyzing recently and a few things have come to mind when thinking about "Wedding Dresses."
To me a wedding dress should be about quality, luxury, glamour, ambiance, feel, something that makes people go "wow" when they see you walking towards them. It's come to my attention that whilst at first glances the dresses you see in your high street shops look good they may even imitate the idea of luxury and glamour but when you dig a little deeper what you see is a world of synthetic's enforced with several layers of fabric and interfacings which creates a very starchy, heavy dress. Construction techniques I have to say are well produced on some levels, but most of the time leave out the practicality of alterations to be considered. To you the Bride, this is something you wont necessarily understand or appreciate but when adjustments are necessary you expect the dress to come back exactly as it arrived. Which is understandable, and rightly so. These adjustments are only as good as the access into the workings of the dress which has been allocated. And when it comes to finishings, sometimes its impossible to recreate something that is already created. But what really gets me is that knowing alterations are inevitable, because most people opt for made to measure, with all made to measures it takes time and with time shape changes, women are known to loose quite a bit of weight just before her wedding if they're not already trying, so by time the dress comes back you know there will be some kind of tweaking. So why does a Bride have to pay extra for that service?
Going back to made to measures ... I consider a made to measure to account for size, whether you be big, small, tall, short, big bust, big hipped, or even small busted or small hipped... from what I can tell if your taller than the average, your only option is to wear flatter shoes, of your too short thats ok it can be shorted ... but what if most of the detail is at the bottom of the dress? From my experience those who are quite a bit shorter than the average will find most dresses out of proportion from top to bottom, this I'm sure shares the same rules to those who are exceptionally tall.    
When Designing, I've never really considered how or what the "others" are doing because I am driven by my passion and vision. My training and teachings along the way have given me different perspective which makes me work outside the "box".
I pride on the pure silks we use, creating a light weight gown, allowing free-flow and movement into the dress as it naturally should be. Xsazia's made to measure service means each piece is made completely from scratch taken from the extensive range of measurements required for construction. And to top that, all alterations are included in the price, so there will never be additional costs once the dress arrives.      

No comments:

Post a Comment